Research Projects

My research projects are generally in the area of analytical chemistry, usually environmentally-based. Some recent/ongoing projects include:

1. Determining microcystins in samples from Lake Winnebago as part of an NSF-funded interdisciplinary study on harmful algal blooms. Samples are collected throughout the summer and analyzed using ELISA kits for total microcystins.
  2. Studying potential of a microorganism for degrading polyethylene (PET) plastics. This study uses HPLC-UV and HPLC-MS to look for small molecule degradation products from PET.
  3. Measuring polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) compounds in sediment from water bodies. This is usually done using HPLC-Fluorescence after extraction from dried sediment samples. The data is used to assess whether there is a risk to animal life (sediment dwellers and higher forms) and/or to determine the likely sources of the contamination. Similarly, I have done some work measuring pesticides and heavy metals in sediments to assess risk.
  4. Characterization of fuels produced from biogas. This project is in support of a larger project developing a technique to convert biogas from the Allen Farms biodigester into liquid fuels. In the laboratory we measure the density and olefin content of the liquid samples, conduct a simulated distillation of the liquid samples, and I maintain the inline GC at the farm site for measuring the biogas and syngas composition.
  5. I also do contract consulting work which can involve paid student help. Most recently I helped a client set up an HPLC system for measurement of active ingredients in hemp (cannabis) plant material and extracts. I also worked with a client to measure the hypochlorous acid and other ingredients in their hard-surface disinfectant product. Further in the past I measured oak-derived flavors for a wine-related company.